Portfolio Update - 2018 July


This month I accelerated my portfolio changing towards my target of 50% oversea equities.

Sold (from end of June to July):
Sunpower @ $0.605
Memtech @ $1.29
portion of Alliance Mineral @ $0.375
Yanlord @ $1.49
GSS energy @ $0.141
Manulife REIT @ $0.865
portion of Venture @ 17.3

Added:
Nexteer (HKEX:1316) @ 10.92
Ping an Insurance (SHA: 601318) @ 58.65
ND paper (HKEX:2689) @ 9.2
Jinma Energy (HKEX:6885) @ 4.66
New Chine Life Insurance (HKEX:1336) @ 34.35
Luye Pharma (HKEX:2186) @ 8.38

Together with Xiwang Steel and Wanhua Chemical that I purchased in June, I have 8 HK & China stocks which make up close to 40% of my portfolio. In terms of valuation, industry prospects and  growth potential, they are simply better than my local stocks. There are so many bargains that makes  combination of wonderful company at fair price and fair company at wonderful price possible.

Here is how I classify them:

SectorCompanyReasons of buyingRough Target
Finance - InsurancePing anWonderful company at fair price (at the moment)Profit CAGR of 15%
Finance - InsuranceNew China LifeFair company at wonderful price - 0.4 pevValuation goes back to 1.0 pev
ChemicalWanhuaWonderful company at fair priceEarnings could double in 3-5 years
Manufacturing - AutomotiveNexteerIndustry top player that is growing at PE 10 50% increase in earnings in 3 years
Materials - PaperND PaperIndustry alpha at great price - PE 4
Materials - SteelXiwangFair company at wonderful price - PE2.x, 10+% dividend yieldCollect fat dividend and/or revaluation
Materials - CokeJinma EnergyFair company at wonderful price - PE2.x
PharmaceuticalLuye PharmaGrowing company with possible star products coming outProfit CAGR of 15%

As compared to my local stocks that I will keep but with lesser weightage:

Manufacturing - T&MAEMGood company at fair price. Potential in more star products
Commodity - LithiumAlliance MineralFair company at wonderful price. How wonderful depends on EV boom progress
Manufacturing - EMSVentureTop 10 EMS of the world, current price is quite fair or slightly undervalued
ShipbuildingYZJ shipbuildingIndustry alpha at undervalued price, collect 5% dividend until industry recovers

Using the same subjective lens, I view the rest of my local stocks as fair company at discounted but not wonderful price.

Back to my foreign holdings. The major risk with these low PE stocks like ND paper, Xiwang, Jinma is their sustainability relies heavily on the continuity of China's structural reform policy that aims to reduce excess production capacity, to consolidate the industry, and to allow debt-ladden companies to earn and pay down their debts (which could be the actual driving factor).

There are other reasons too why I prefer oversea market. Firstly, I could build a more diversified portfolio with the abundant varieties of industries available; even though that mean I have to ditch the idea of focus investing. I don't know any industry or company deep enough to embrace this strategy, especially at a turmoil times like this where any sector could suddenly be hit by tariff. As a newbie I guess it's better for me to expose myself to learn about various industries and businesses models to have a greater grasp on macro economies and also better sense of what is a bargain. Secondly, with trade war worries looming, our local economies will suffer first. When two gigantic elephants battle, its the ants get stamped first.

I will continue to reduce my local holdings and add more HK & China stocks beyond the 50% limit. There are simply attractive bargains right now. Here is my watchlist (some are bargains at current price while some are not, just compiling for my own reference):

Environmental (Undervalued sector):
China Everbright International (HKEX:257)
Beijing Enterprises Water (HKEX: 371)
Citic Envirotech (SGX:CEE)
Sunpower (SGX:5GD)
China Jinjiang (SGX:BWM) - Although at current PE of 5, it seems greatly undervalued, but I have doubts on its oversea expansion and intense competition it faces domestically.

Finance:
AMC - China Cinda (HKEX:1359)
Banks - Major banks looks very cheap but needs to have deep understanding on its assets to have faith in their figures
Brokerage firms - Price at suppressed level but their earnings rely on sentiment.

Investment Conglomerate: 
Fosun International (HKEX:656)
China Everbright Ltd (HKEX:165)
Value Partners Group Ltd (HKEX:806)

Consumers:
WH Group (HKEX:288)
China Agri (HKEX:606)
IGG (HKEX:799)

Chemical:
Dongyue (HKEX:0189)
Kingboard Chemical (HKEX:148) [Also the world's largest laminate manufacture]
China Sunsine (SGX:CH8)

Materials:
Cement & Building Materials - China National Building Material (HKEX:3323)
Glass - Xinyi Glass (HKEX:0868)

Manufacturing: 
Motor and motion systems - Johnson Electric (HKEX: 00179)
Mold - Lung Kee (HKEX:255) [Also listed in SGX but poor liquitidy]
Wind turbine - Xinjiang Goldwind Science & Tech Co Ltd (HKEX:2208)
PVC pipe - China Lesso (HKEX:2128)
Injection molding machine - Haitian International (HKEX:1882)
Optical fibres - Yangtze Optical Fibre and Cable (HKEX:6869)

Pharmaceutical: 

Tianjin Zhongxin (SGX:T14) - Even though price here is much cheaper than A-shares counterpart, its movement mirrors counterpart, and so far I don't see BBs here intends to close the valuation gap.

Beijing Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine (HKEX: 3613)

Commodity:
Coal: Yanzhou coal (HKEX: 1171)
Coal Conglomerate:  Shenhua energy (HKEX:1088)

Ports & Shipping Companies: (Suppressed sector, watch out for turning point as some shipping companies are turning profitable. How soon the turning point would come largely depends on the outcome of trade wars)

Automotive: (Generally a lot of car makers have low PE, but its hard to guess which auto maker would be the top ones)

There are also countless Graham net-net stocks in HK but thats beyond my knowledge and also interests. The proportion of scam stocks are also higher, so it's best to equip myself with useful tool. There is one useful compilation on black list and white list of HK stocks, compiled by a user called greatsoup in Xueqiu. Need to be careful with those with a rating of 5.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Ac9TXVHQHnoJnjt15O3JMIum19Jw8e7vimTz95cymY/edit#gid=705361020

As a conclusion, my overall portfolio are still in deep water due to the last day plunge of AEM, or else I could have regain few % this month, uplifted by my eight oversea knights. Apart from Luye Pharma which took a knock due to recent negative sentiments on Pharma stocks triggered by fake vaccine scandal, the rest of them are all in positive territory.


Comments

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment