Portfolio update - 2018 Feb

February was a roller coaster month, with STI managed to rebound from quick correction and closed at 3518, 15 points down from end of January (a mere 0.4% drop). My overall portfolio dropped 0.5% in this month.

A quick summary for my buy sell and holdings:

Sold during correction:

AEM:
Cashed out in Dec 2017 at 3.19, jumped back on board at 4.05 after unbelievable forward guidance for 2018 earnings, in and out twice and sold at 5.87 before results. The gap up turned sell down after results announcement was unbelievable as well. Will enter again when opportunity comes.

China Sunsine:
Sold at 1.14 and then missed the boat after profit guidance, and also the fantastic results today.

Delong:
I think I just don't deserve to earn money from this counter. Bought first batch at $4 after Q3 results, then bought second batch to average the price to 3.4, sold the second batch at 3.4 after a quick rise, and then first batch at $3.8 during correction. Was worry that it would dive during correction like last time, but then the price soared instead after profit guidance. Though now it has dropped after results, but I could have earn good profits if I hold until the last day of results. Second profit guidance missed consecutively. So "lucky". If I have the gut to average down and hold, why didn't I have the gut to hold when it's on the way up?

Speaking about the results, I am a bit disappointed that no dividends has been declared, despite the huge earnings. Given that the bidding for China's steel plant has failed, the company shouldn't have problem to give out a little bit of profits as a token to reward shareholders, since the P/E is so amazingly low.

Cityneon:
Sold at 1.04. Missed the fantastic results, but couldn't believe the sell on news as well, since the price didn't rally much from the bottom.

Sarine tech:
Sold at 1.08. Surprisingly this stock was quite resilient during correction and is slowly climbing up.

Geo Energy Resources:
Pared down certain portion at 0.26. The market doesn't seem to have confidence on its results at the moment.

Bought or trade during/after correction:

Alliance Mineral Assets:
I have take the chance during correction to reshuffle my portfolio and now AMA is my biggest holding. Bought at 0.41, 0.39, 0.365 twice and sold 0.385 and 0.39. Didn't have any chance to buy below 0.4 before correction and hence have taken this chance to load it up.

China Star Food:
Can't resist the huge drop and went in at 0.081, sold at 0.092 today. Still holding half that were bought at much higher price.

Jadason:
Punt today, hoping for a good results... and failed. Think need to cut loss tomorrow.

Other stocks that I am holding:

GSS energy, Geo Energy, YZJ shipbuilding: Yet to release results.

Trendlines: Price temporarily excited after results for one day and then continued went further south, may average down if price continues to drop.

Manulife REIT: The only REITS on hand.

Sunningdale Tech: Barely break-even after factoring upcoming dividend. Still holding as don't see much downside.

Federal Intl: Decent results and good dividends but price barely moved. I guess I will keep this to pocket dividends until the O&G recovery accelerates and market re-rates the stocks.

Capital World: Still struggling at bottom of 0.08 despite good results. Waiting for Capital 21 to be launched.

Pan Hong, RHT Health Trust: Tiny portion for punt. Luckily things didn't turn MIDAS, so hopefully I can at least break even on this.

In summary, this correction is unlike the previous correction that happened after earnings season, by employing the same strategy of killing golden goose, I have screwed up big time for missing results catalyst and also the magic profit guidance. If not for those gains from reinvestment, I would be much worse now. Anyway, it's a good battling experience, and I have taken the chance to reshuffle my portfolio, and also increase my cash holding %.

Comments